02 January 2009

With a name like this ...

With a blog named Giant Battling Robots, how can I resist!


giant robot Japanese monster movie[Found on Stomp Tokyo]
Though I admittedly have little knowledge in the genre of Japanese sci-fi, I do know one thing: when a UFO crashes into the ocean near Tokyo, chances are pretty good that an attack on the city by a giant monster is inherent. Call it intuition.

---
Exteel Mecha robotsHow about a MMORPG, Exteel. I haven't played it, by IO9 gave it a nice review. Apparently it's more combat than RPG.





---
[And this, from TVtropes]
Who needs an Abrams tank when you can have a 100-foot man-shaped robot with a glowing sword and a fist that fires off like a missile? There's no argument - fighting robots are just infinitely cooler than ordinary vehicles. Whatever their shape, though, they are all known as "mecha". The "mecha", or "giant robot", concept is ubiquitous in Japanese pop culture, and is more than adequately represented in anime. Despite the name, the robots need not actually be "giant" - some are merely human-sized, and some even smaller. They range from the boomers and hardsuits of Bubblegum Crisis, to the Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann big enough to use galaxies as shuriken (no, really!).
---
Giant Robots SmashingGiant Robots Smashing into other Robots.
Needs more smashing!
But maybe they just want to get dome work done.



---
Big Giant RobotsCoincidence or Copycat? What is the difference between a Giant Robot and a Big Giant Robot anyway? I suppose there is room enough on the internet for the two of us. ;-)

---
Battletech giant robot poster[from Mecha Image of the Day - here]
Finally, here is my kind of Giant Battling Robot from the game Battletech.









---
So many robots, so little time. Maybe post your favorites here?

7 comments:

Brandon said...

I think you covered mine. Is that Vultron I see? My parents have yet to buy me that :(

Bradpetehoops said...

I love Robots the popular are from Japan and USA.

MiNWoN said...

If you like giant robots and rpg, try Age of Armor and Zero Online. Both were so awesome for me. BTW, I LIKE BIG ROBOTS TOO !!!!

Patrick D Elliott said...

Oh my, i do like me some robots...

Favourites would have to be...Eva-01 (From Neon Genesis Evangelion, duh), it makes up for being purple by being awesome.
http://www.bluefuzzball.org/eva/evas/01/eva01_bras_apparent_1.jpg

Megamaid, the mightiest of them all (from Spaceballs).
http://www.ladyofthecake.com/mel/space/images/megamaid.jpg

Giant Bender.
http://www.alexross.com/FUGP30XL.jpg

SwiZZa said...

I played Exteel about a year ago. It's a pretty cool game for free. I may give it another go to see what's been added since I last played it.

Anonymous said...

Hey EastwoodDC, nikobe of BigGiantRobots just saw your comment through technorati. I can honestly say I had never seen your site before now (though I've bookmarked it now looks interesting). I think there is plenty of room for the both of us :) we don't really cover much of the same things our site is pretty diverse and doesn't actually over that much about robots in general unless their in an anime or game we like (Gundam and Macross being fav's). We started BGR early last year but it didn't really kick off until later in the year but its been fun so far. I hope there is not any bad feeling between us as no offence was intended.

Dan Eastwood said...

I was actually trying to make a joke, and maybe I didn't make that clear enough. I'll sure we will get along fine. Happy blogging! :-)