04 December 2008

Why techies love games

Why techies love games -- and why it's good they do
By Tom Kaneshige

Everyone knows that techies love "Dungeons & Dragons," where they can prowl the bowels of a castle and cast spells on clueless managers, er, mages. After all, it's just a game.

Or is it?
Click through to InfoWorld for an interesting read on the connection between Tech skills and gaming. This article considers computer gaming only, but I think it certainly extends to tabletop games as well.

2 comments:

!Teq-uila Del Zapata said...

Awesome post and nice read.
I always had that feeling that tech people hone their skills with games.
I love playing Quake, heroes of might and magic.
I like fighting and adventure.

Dan Eastwood said...

I remember the my first encounter with DOOM!, which was the downloadable demo. A few minutes of play and my heart was racing and I was literally sweating. This seems old-hat now, but up to that point (~1993-94?) there had been NOTHING like it (perhaps Castle Wolfenstein, but I never saw that until later). I quickly realized this was a revolutionary game experience, and that if I bought this game I would play and play and play ...

... and I also realized that if I bought the game I would *never* finish grad school. I got to be really good at playing that demo though. ;-)