26 December 2008

Time to Play

I woke up early this morning thinking about a recent comment. While I don't think the writer meant anything other than "you spend a lot of time at this", somehow I could not get my mind off of it. I do spend a lot of time on games, this is true, and it means a lot to me. But do I spend more time gaming than other people do with their hobbies and activities (like blogging perhaps)? Maybe not.

Gaming means a lot to me. It's a a social activity, an outlet for creativity, and a subject of study.
I meet regularly with friends for a weekly session of Battletech. It's a mixed groups of working professionals, craftsmen, and students. We are not there for drinkin' an smokin' (maybe a little cussin' tho); we are there to play, and to borrow a phrase; a bad evening gaming is better than a good day working. I am a bit unusual in the group because I don't play a lot of games other than Battletech (I do have limited time for gaming), and most of the guys also play other games on a regular basis. (Note aside: I also like computer games, but I find these do not have the same aspect of social interaction, so I don't play them nearly so much. Thoughts?)

A fair bit of my time (likewise many of the guys) goes into game related activity such as painting and assembling miniatures. Working with miniatures is a hobby within a hobby, and a topic for another day, but I love working with minis as much as I like to play. Maybe more. Check some great galleries of Battletech minis at LOTB, and consider the craftsmanship that goes into some of these.
The other creative aspect of the hobby (for me) is writing, and I don't just mean this blog. I've been writing related to gaming on and off for years. This might be writing up a scenario or adventure, describing something I'd like to represent in a game, writing my own game, or working out strategies. Most if this writing isn't interesting to anyone but myself, but I enjoyed writing it all the same. More recently I actually became somewhat organized about recording my game related ideas, and in the process I realized I had something I wanted to say to others (and so here we are).

Finally, I like to study games. I wrote my first computer simulation program when I was 13 or 14 on my Apple II+. Why? Because I wanted to settle an argument about whether it is better in the game Risk for the defender to roll one die or two (short answer: two whenever possible). Little did I know I was actually taking my first steps towards being a statistician, I just wanted to know the best way to play. More recently I decided to really look hard into the mathematics of the game Battletech. Rather than write a program I decided to try to get into the theory behind it. Part of me wonders why I never really tried to apply my skills this way before, but maybe I wasn't ready? What I quickly learned is that I wasn't just studying Battletech, but the math that applies to a whole class of games, sports, and even military studies. I've always loved games, but until recently I never knew they could be so deep.

So now I've rambled on too long and need to get to work. I invite you to post comments on why you like games, why you play them, and what intrigues you about them. How do you spend your play time?

19 comments:

Brandon said...

I agree about PC games. I remember the time when I almost exclusively played PC games. As I grew older I played more console games (so I could include my friends). Eventually I shifted back to the PC, and I remember what did it - Rainbow 6. I started playing in a LAN with friends, so there was a large social element.

Eventually I grew into the Axis and Allies board games and that quickly turned into poker. What I love about poker is the absolute variance provided by the cards. There is no one "first move" that works the best. There is no almighty strategy that wins the most. It's basically a matter of fine-tuning what works for you. But it's still more fun when you are playing with good friends. (What's better than watching your friend lose money) ;)

Etan W. said...

You know, gaming is a great way to stay involved within different communities. I play video games all the time. I know other people do too, those are the people I want to reach out to. Not the blue collared guys having fun by spending tons of money on hookers.

But I digress, love what you do homie.

Alex Vita said...

Mixing studying into video games? That's going against everything video games stand for :-/

Anonymous said...

I like the 80 and 90 games like Sega, Tetris, and Mario Bros, the best games for ever!

beybes_08 said...

i think what you do is great.i used to play games like Ragnarok and that, then I grew out of it(that's a lie, I think my grades dropped that time so I had to let it go)haha..anyway I play the Wii now and PS 2, I do it sometimes just to chill. It helps me relax between studies and work now. At least when I'm playing, I'm just playing.

get in here said...

I love your blog and you have the best blog title ever!

J"Blaze"C said...

I love games i have since i was a wii-lad lol see the word play there. I love games because it gets me away from all the pressures that come with life bills,girlfriends ect. I started playing consle games has i didnt have a pc til i was in the 8th grade and even then i didnt pay pc games cuz of the cost and most of my friends had consles. but the pc games that i did pay are air warrior 3 and MPBT on gamestorm back in the old AOL games now those were some of my favorite games of all times.

DrDave said...

Well I guess what you do is okay. My oldest son liked doing this since he was 4. Now he has a PhD in computer science and works for a top shelf agency making such games, as his PhD is in AI. He makes about 350 K per year. And I used to tell him that playing games would never get him anywhere!

Dr Dave

Anonymous said...

wow, that's pretty cool. I think that people are always at their best when they're passionate about something. good for you... no need to apologize. :)
I never would have thought to combine statistics and gaming. hmmm.
Of course, I don't really like video games, outside of stuff like animal crossing and harvest moon...
To each his own.

Anonymous said...

It's a hobby, to which you are entitled.

Aside from the social interaction, there are the other things you mention - the painting and the writing. These are good things.

Hobbies are fun, plain and simple. And sometimes one can make a living, or part of a living in a way that includes one's hobby.

Celebrate it. Game on!

Mannie

http://www.toysoldiersforever.blogspot.com

Dan Eastwood said...

JBlaze: You are in a hard spot. I read your blog (caution: not for the squeamish) and it breaks my heart. I'm glad that games give you a bit of escape from that.
I've read that blogging is being used as a type of therapy for people with serious illness. If you don't mind my asking, is that how you got started? In any case, keep writing, and I will read it.

I played MPBT on the CompuServer server, and a lot of the AOL players came over. We might have been shooting at each other. :-)

Dan Eastwood said...

Brandon and Etan: It seems that computer/console games are starting to recognize the value of the social aspect. I still don't think it's the same as playing across the table, but I expect improvements to continue.

Alex: A lot of video games are all "twitch and task", not calling on the player to think too hard or apply anything resembling math (and that's OK). When a game offers a choice though, one that not only allows the player to win, but to actually learn and become a better/smarter player - THAT is where the study gets interesting.

Marianela: Oldies and goodies!

Beybes: There is a definite (negative) correlation between too much gaming and dropping grades. I'll post about my experience MUDding one of these days.

Dan Eastwood said...

Insults: Thanks for the very kind insult :-)

Dr. Dave: Never underestimate the ability of children to prove their parents wrong. It seems your son has done so in spectacular fashion (mine is making excellent progress).

Lali: Thanks also. I sort of wish I had started this effort earlier, but as I said, maybe I wasn't ready.

Mannie: Cool toy soldiers and civil war history!

Dan: Oh wait ... that's me.

Anonymous said...

why do I play games? simple because they are fun.

I never really thought about what intrigues about gaming, beside the joy of playing. But when I think about it for a second they are games of skill that for someone that is not athletic can enjoy and many games take place in strange worlds or at least allow me to things that I couldn't do in real life.

Justin Smith said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Justin Smith said...

I realize this post is about your love of gaming and was written to point out why you spend so much time doing what you love, so please don't take this comment the wrong way. It's purpose is merely to suggest a profitable hobby that you may be interested in. I am not trying to imply that your hobbies are inadequate (because I am a gamer as well).

As interested as you are in statistics, have you ever thought about a dabbling in securities analysis? I admit that it isn't as exciting as battletech but it is certainly more profitable. I recommend checking out a book called 'The Intelligent Investor' by Benjamin Graham.

Also, a game you might find interesting is one I am currently addicted to. It's a PC game called Romance of the Three Kingdoms 11. To put it shortly, it's a turn based strategy game based on a period in Chinese history with a learning curve the size of the great wall. Most people find this sort of thing intimidating and boring but I find it fun and challenging and so may you.

Dan Eastwood said...

Justin: Comment taken rightly. :-)

Securities analysis would also be an interesting sort of game to analyze, and as you say, could be fun and profitable too. Somehow this has never interested me though, but perhaps I should look into it.

I'll put the "Romance" game on my list of games to check out, it does sound very interesting.

Powerz said...

-"Why do you play games?"-

...again these are my personal reasons and opinions...

As any hobby does, gaming gives you an outlet for many things - whether it be boredom, stress, a need to socialize, etc.

A game is no different to me than a book or writing or even drawing. To me, it mixes the best of what makes alot of other things great, together. Like a book or movie, a game can take you to another place and let you experience a secondary life, but you get to interact with the story yourself. Games can have intriguing storylines and unexpected twists in the plots that keep you wanting to continue to see what happens. From going back to another time to recreate events (as many war games or RTS's do), to jumping ahead into a futuristic FPS or RPG, or even sitting behind the steering wheel of some of the fastest cars in the world, games are spread across many different genres. It allows me to experience things (from a players view) that would otherwise stay locked inside of my imagination.

As anyone who is passionate about something does, I ended up typing a huge blog about this so this is my short answer.

Dan Eastwood said...

Powerz: Nicely done too.