03 March 2009

Reading about Group Theory

Mario Livio Equation Couldn't be Solved Amazon



On the recommendation of a friend, I'm reading "The Equation That Couldn't Be Solved" by Mario Livio. I know very little about Group Theory, and I don't really expect this book to offer much in the way of improving my education, but so far it is interesting.






Rubik's cube puzzleSince symmetry underlies a lots of common games and puzzles, I expect there are some useful connections to look into and write about. I might have to do some serious homework first though. Learning something new about math (or anything else) is a bit like figuring out a puzzle; First you work hard at it, then you enjoy the payoff when you figure it out.
[Image Zedomax.com]

OK, so maybe it's not really that much fun, but I might have to try anyway.

No comments: