08 August 2009

Under Construction

Pardon the dust, I'm trying out a new template. Comments and criticisms appreciated!

So far, so good. My blogroll even transferred over, which I did not expect. I need to rearrange my gadgets more to my liking.

I can see I'm going to have to do something about my banner, the old one is too small for this layout.

I bumped up the font size. I don't know if anyone else has trouble with small text, but I do, and I have to read it, so bigger it gets. Unfortunately, this may play hell with the layout of my older posts. Please email me about any old post where the formatting has clearly gone south.

Adjusted the color scheme. Maybe not for the better, but it is a bit more themed than it was before. I'll try it ... YIPES! The bottom bar text is now the same color as the blog title (thank you Rounders template. I like safety yellow, but that is a bit much. I guess I'll have to dive into the template HTML and see if I can swap color there.

I'm noticing rather slow loading times tonight. Is this loading slowly for anyone else?

I started fiddling around in Paint.net to create a new banner. Here is what I have so far.


Credit where credit is due: To create this three column layout I followed an
excellent tutorial from:

The Blogger Guide
[Blogger Tips, Tutorials & Consultancy]
Web:
http://bguide.blogspot.com/

The instruction here were to add a third left-side column to my old Rounders layout, but they were clear enough that I managed to switch it to two right-side columns with no difficulty. (But I backed everything up first, just in case).
I have been meaning to add a third column for some time to make better use of screen space. Two right-side columns let me put more information "up top" where people can see it, but people with smaller monitors can still read the main text without side scrolling.

GBR Giant Battling Robots Favicon

7 comments:

Steven Satak said...

Nah, it loads like a jackrabbit for me.

Check your inbox.

Steve

Paint it Pink said...

No problem with the speed of the page. If the format suits you, then it looks alright.

Saxywolf said...

The logo behind the 'Mech makes the 'Mech difficult to see.

The picture seems to be a tad too long, or it isn't aligned correctly with whatever is behind it.

What if you used a side view of a 'Mech and moved the 0 on the X scale so that it looked like the mech was firing the randomwalk graph lines?

skiltao said...

It looks really weird having the main content all the way to the left instead of in between the sidebars.

I have the vague impression that the colors on your old banner would work better than the new one (which is doubly odd since I'm pretty sure both use the same colors? Maybe there's something with the new overlaps that's throwing me off).

Font looks good, overall color scheme looks good, didn't have any problems loading.

Dan Eastwood said...

@Saxywolf: The banner needs work, I put up what I have so far so I can adjust the title font

@Skiltao: Think of it as an "extra" right sidebar, I do. The color IS different. Previously the title was a light pink (yes pink, because that color was what stood out best against the old banner). There are other color changes too, but those are more subtle. And I added you to my blogroll - long overdue.

My blogroll needs an overhaul too. I want to split them up by catagories (Battletech, game design, other)

justin aquino said...

Change s good, makes me feel that it kinda grows with you.

Although I would recommend that you go check out 4chan's Photoshopped Art for ideas and more art to work with and PS (/k/ or /tg/ threads)

Dan Eastwood said...

Thanks Nikolas, I'll look into that too.