27 April 2011

Doug Chaffe

Update [7/14/11]: Catalyst Game Labs is hosting a sale of Doug Chaffe original artwork at Gencon 2001.


Randall Bills writes about the passing of Doug Chaffee. Better go read that first. Here is Randall's opening paragraph.
In 1994 I walked into a game store and beheld BattleTech’s CityTech Second Edition on a shelf. The cover was by an artist I’d not seen before, but it was action-packed, evocative, and wonderfully done…everything a fan could ask from a cover. Of course I left with it under my arm. For the next 15 plus years Doug Chaffee would be an indelible part of crafting the visuals for BattleTech.
I confess I didn't know anything about Doug Chaffee before this, but Battletech players should know his work on sight ...


Image: Chaffee Studios
... because it is nothing short of iconic. Much more to be found at Chaffee Studios.

Here are a few links that my be of interest:
Battletech Wiki: Doug Chaffee
Book Illustrations

5 comments:

 Ashley said...

He certainly painted some of my favourite illustrations for BattleTech, so farewell RIP Doug.

Unknown said...

It is sad to hear of his passing, I always liked his work. I regret never getting a chance to meet him when I was doing work for FASA.

Dan Eastwood said...

@W.I.Boucher: Hey, nice airplane illustrations!
http://wwiaviation.blogspot.com/

Unknown said...

Thanks Eastwood. It has been my obsession for a while now. Though I still do some sci-fi profiles occasionally. Thanks for bringing back memories with this post.

Dan Eastwood said...

Update bump: Chaffee original artwork for sale at Gencon 2001.