26 November 2008

General(s) George from Le Petit Soldier Shop

On a recent visit to New Orleans, the wife and I spend a pleasant morning exploring the French quarter near Jackson Square. After coffee and beignets at Cafe Du Monde, and a stroll through the touristy shops on Decatur Street, we started exploring some of the nearby streets. I'm glad we did.

At 528 Royal Street, we made a nice find: The Sword And Pen / Le Petit Soldier Shop. They specialize in historical miniatures and toy soldiers, both modern and antique. Historical miniatures are not my main interest, but I really didn't want to leave this shop empty handed.
---
From GBR: Public
Fortunately these two small figures caught my interest among a box of similar figures: George Washington and George Custer.
From GBR: Public
As you can see, someone started to paint the Custer figure, but didn't get very far.
---
From GBR: Public
The shop owner told me these were probably produced by the Marx company sometime during the 1960's. There are some similar figures in the Marx Toy Museum (another place to visit one of these days!).
---
I wish I'd had my camera to take some pictures of the displays, but now at least I have an excuse to go back.

2 comments:

Scott Condello said...

Le Petit Soldier / The Sword and Pen
www.LePetitSoldier.com or www.SwordandPenOrleans.com

We specialize in American-made molds hand painted by New Orleans artists.

Dan Eastwood said...

Scott:
Thanks for providing the current link. I'll be in NO for Jazzfest in the spring, and I hope to stop in for another visit.